The Central Willamette Story
Over 50 years ago, we had a vision of a thriving community supported by a genuinely helpful credit union. That's how Central Willamette came to be. Ever since then, we've been committed to this vision, providing our members with smart financial guidance from friendly people you can trust. It's what sets us apart - and what keeps our members happy.
Our story began on October 5, 1955, at a meeting of Local 1141 when initial steps were taken to form a credit union for government employees in Linn County. Employees from the U.S. Bureau of Mines and the Albany and Lebanon post offices were there, too.
On November 15, 1955, Linn Government Employees Credit Union was established as a state-chartered credit union and we've been serving the people of the Valley as financial advocates ever since. It's not just a job, it's our passion.
Times have changed and so has our name:
- 1957 - Our charter was expanded to include the rare metals industry and our name was changed to Federal-Metals Credit Union.
- 1987 - We converted to a "Central" credit union which allowed us to expand within a 30 mile radius to serve those not currently being served by a credit union or were too small to form their own.
- 1999 - We changed our name to one that related geographically to the area we serve and we became Central Willamette Credit Union.
- 2002 - We were granted a community charter to serve those who live or work in Linn, Benton, Marion and Polk counties and became Central Willamette Community Credit Union.
- 2018- All that's old is new again, so we started shortening our name to 'Central Willamette Credit Union', or more commonly just 'Central Willamette'. It's what everyone knows us as, and we think it works. We're still all about community, and we're also about keeping this simple, local, and relatable for everyone in the Valley. We may not be 'fancy' like some of the other banks out there, but that's just how our people like it. We're just like you, after all.
We now have six locations for our members' convenience - spanning from Lebanon to Salem. But no matter which branch you visit, you'll find the faces of smiling people who are super excited to help you build a stronger financial future.
That's something that hasn't changed over the years, and it won't change. We promise.